I hope you and your family are well. I am thinking of you and sending my positive thoughts and prayers. We are missing everyone, and hope to bridge the distance through this electronic connection.
Are you feeling restless? Truth be told, I have a little shpilkes myself! (That’s Yiddish, for “ants in your pants.”) Not to worry, I am here to help! Today we will harness our inner creativity, and find ways to bring this beautiful world into our lives. Without leaving our sofas, we are going to creatively travel from home! Get ready to enjoy some of the most beautiful and intriguing areas in the world. I encourage you to click on every website, learn about new spots and visualize yourself in that local. Like me, I know you have a little wanderlust!
So, I say, “BE GONE SHPILKES!” Because…
“It’s bad manners to keep a vacation waiting.” (-unknown)
Plenty to See and to Enjoy:
1.We are off to Paris first! I absolutely love an unplanned travel day- strolling around and taking in the sights. So, put on your favorite walking shoes, and let’s meander through the Parisian streets. We will find our way to a boulangerie (French bakery) for a strong cup of coffee and mouthwatering bread. We need our sustenance, of course, before we see the Eiffel Tower! Have you ever visited? Head to the top and marvel at the amazing view! (Move your curser around the image to see different sights!) https://artsandculture.google.com/streetview/tour-eiffel/sAHt5Gv4YGH84Q?hl=en&sv_lng=2.294697006132574&sv_lat=48.85816565109427&sv_h=180&sv_p=0&sv_pid=Pe03wIAND2
“I don’t know where I am going, but I am on my way.” (-Voltaire)
2. Next stop is one of the undisputed marvels of nature. We are going “Down Under” to the Great Barrier Reef! Put on your snorkel gear and we will get close to the unique marine animals and plants in this incredible spot. Enjoy National Geography’s fascinating video on Coral Reefs. (4 minutes) Click here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=great+barrier+reef+images&&view=detail&mid=C527DC955694C0C422A1C527DC955694C0C422A1&&FORM=VDRVRV
“Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” (-Dalai Lama)
3. Our next excursion is magnificent! Have you been to Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe? I have not had the pleasure, and can’t wait to go! This is one of the earth’s largest waterfalls- reaching 355 feet in height and spanning across an entire mile! Victoria Falls is one of the World’s Seven Natural Wonders. Click here to watch a 2 minute video about Victoria Falls and the canyons below. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Victoria+Falls+National+Park&&view=detail&mid=9451962C553ACAD934519451962C553ACAD93451&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DVictoria%2BFalls%2BNational%2BPark%26FORM%3DRESTAB
“There is no time to be bored in a world as beautiful as this.” (-familyoffduty.com)
4. Next jaunt is a little closer to home. Let’s check out Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona. Choose your favorite way to take in this amazing national treasure by hiking, rafting or having coffee with a ranger on the rim! There are countless breathtaking views to enjoy. Click here: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtour.htm
5. I have always wanted to go to the Amalfi Coast in Italy. While we enjoy a delicious dinner, we will overlook the cliffside town and deep blue sea. I am having a giant portion of pasta because I have read that “vacation calories don’t count!” (I realize this is wishful thinking, but since it’s a pretend plate of pasta, I am okay!) Click here for things to do in this magical area: https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/amalfi-coast/experiences/news/ultimate-things-to-do-along-the-amalfi-coast
“I wish travel therapy was covered by my health insurance.” (-Anonymous)
6. All this travel has made me exhausted, so I am ready to kick back and enjoy a lovely island paradise! Grab your favorite umbrella drink and let’s relax in Bora Bora! Not sure what to drink? Click here for 22 non-alcoholic summer drinks: https://www.delish.com/food/g2164/non-alcoholic-drinks/ Bora Bora is a gorgeous green slice of heaven located in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean. Of course, we will stay in the most luxurious overwater bungalow- complete with incredible views of the turquoise lagoon. Click here to see a picture of our stunning accommodations: https://travelintense.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/borabora_overwaterbungalow.jpg
“I wanna go to Bora Bora but I am Poora Poora” (-thehollapinos.com)
7. Let’s head back home and be a tourist in our home town. The Jewish Museum Milwaukee is hosting a book talk with Bader Philanthropies, Inc. for their new book about Helen Daniels Bader. The author, and Helen’s son and niece will be addressing her life and legacy, with a focus on her introduction and interest to Alzheimer’s and Dementia work. Helen was a social worker at the Jewish Home, inspired to serve by Nita Corre and subsequently developed the vision for, and provided substantial funding for, the creation of Ovation Communities Helen Bader Center- maintained and nurtured by the continuing support of Bader Philanthropies. The book talk will take place on Wednesday, March 10th at 12noon- 1:00PM. The link will also be available on Jewish Museum Milwaukee’s YouTube channel and Facebook page after the fact. For more information and to RSVP, click here: https://jewishmuseummilwaukee.org/events/virtual-book-talk-an-independent-spirit/
8. We need a little music to go with this travel! Pick your favorite tune to accompany your trip. Here are a few fun travel choices to put you in the mood. Do you have a different favorite travel song? I would love to hear.
- Listen to “Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin. This song will make you smile, and is the perfect way to get into the mood. Click here for his official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
- Enjoy Willie Nelson’s famous song, “On the Road Again.” Here is a 1982 version with Glen Campbell and Willie Nelson. Click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0egacrZcBA
- Everyone loves John Denver’s song “Leaving, On a Jet Plane.” This song always works! Click here for the audio of his “Greatest Hits” version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9sf7C7D3nk
- Listen to “Summertime, Summertime” by the Jamies when you are longing for the warm, lazy days of summer. This song never gets old! Enjoy this audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_z73tVbgU
- “I’ve Been Everywhere” by Johnny Cash is the perfect song for those people have done a lot of traveling! This link has a video storyboard with lyrics. Make sure you sing out loud. I did, and I have been singing ever since! Click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4epAJRPMw
9. Try travel themed brain health- Here are three different brain health exercises. Complete one each day!
- Write a list of all the places you have traveled and your most memorable moment. Use your senses to recall the details; do a visual tour in your mind.
- Print out the attached brain health worksheet. Fifty famous throughfares, areas or landmarks are listed. See how many of these famous cities you can identify.
- Print out the attached blank USA map and fill in the states. If that was a breeze, then try to add the state capitals. How did you do?
“Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.” (-Dr. Seuss)
Thank you for traveling with me today. I loved it! It is always wonderful to “get away.” As always, if you have a question related to aging, memory loss or caregiving, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am here for you, and happy to help. You can find me here: DRubin-Winkelman@ovation.org
Thinking of you and sending all my positive energy and love,